Off Grid New Mexico: Where We Are Now

View from our new front yard

We're in Tres Piedras, NM, population less than one hundred.  About 40 miles northwest of Taos.  A half hour from the Colorado border.

We've been here since October first.  We flew to Maine, cleaned out our house, loaded up a bunch of our stuff, and drove it out here to the house we're renting.

The past three months have been busy, what with the moving of stuff, unloading, and getting settled.

We like it here.  Looking out the front of our house, no other signs of human life are visible.  We do have neighbors in other directions and we've met some of them.  We've actually met more people here in two months than we met in two years living in Maine.  Everybody here on the mesa is a little nuts.  They stick mostly to themselves.  That's all fine with me.

I've been cooking a lot, making new things like green chile stew, which came out awesome.  Trying to get my Etsy business going again.  The desert is a great resource for inspiration and materials for my jewelry.  We had our first few inches of snow yesterday which, while beautiful, unfortunately covers up everything on the ground and makes finding interesting materials impossible.

I have a feeling of lightness in my chest this past week.  I feel like I'm where I would want to be, if I were to imagine the best case scenario.  Everything's not perfect, but the pieces of a happy life are here.

And this despite the fact that the long term disability company decided not to renew my benefits, in the middle of October.

I have more to say but I just wanted to drop by and give an update.  Time to throw another log in the wood stove and take the dog outside for a romp.




Comments

Popular Posts