Don't Save Me, I'd Druther Be a Freak




Heard this song on late night radio the other night and instantly connected to it.  I'd knew I'd heard it many times before but I also knew it wasn't part of my music library.  I wracked my brain trying to remember where I knew it from, and finally I remembered:  it's from Magnolia, one of my top three favorite movies. 

What does this have to do with homesteading?  Nothing, really.  But it's a good song and if I share it and you haven't heard it already, you might come to like it, too. 

Busy day, getting the chickens into their new space and working on the garden.  Yoga and meditation.  Exercising myself and the dog.  A big joint pain day, but life must go on.  Moderate activity that involves stretching, strength training, and meditation, all these things help with my body's long-term flexibility, power, and stamina, and are part of my personal pain management plan.  But I'm not good at moderate.  I'm good at being either a complete slug or a whirling dervish.  Funny thing is, no matter what I do, I'll be in pain.  If I'm a whirling dervish, sometimes I can be so engaged that I can work through the pain.  But I allow myself to go and go until it's too late and I'm ready to scream and collapse.  If I'm a slug, on the other hand, my body stiffens up and I ache even while sitting or lying down.  When I do move, I have to work out and through all that stiffness, pushing myself to move despite the rigid muscles and tightened connective tissue, until things loosen a bit.

So moderation makes sense, regardless of how I feel at any given time.  Be active but take frequent breaks.  That's the best advice I've heard for people with chronic pain conditions.  But yeah, moderate is really fucking hard. 


Comments

Popular Posts