Brrrr. And Thoughts About Going Bigger

Faywood Hot Springs, Faywood, NM

Wet, cold, and windy for the last few days.  Today, the sun is out and it's a bit warmer, though the wind continues.  And by warmer I mean that the projected high is 39 degrees.  Tonight we'll be down to 19.

Everyone's outside today in the campground cleaning out the grit that's been tracked into their homes.  I sat out at our picnic bench for a few minutes and luxuriated in the sunshine while the dog played with his ball.

I've been looking at rvs for sale online and I'm feeling discouraged.  The ones that have any living space at all are huge when I imagine having to drive and park them.  I don't want something huge.  But I do want some space to lounge and cook in, and enough of it so that I don't have to step over the dog to do anything.  Originally I thought that inside space wouldn't be that important since the whole world would be our living room and the trailer would just be for sleeping in.  But in this weather, we've been doing everything inside our trailer.  Realistically, then, we need something big enough to live and work in.

Big enough to live and work in means a rig that would be difficult to fit into an ordinary driveway.  For example, we wouldn't be able to fit a 30 foot trailer into our dads' driveways. We wouldn't be able to park it on Mike's mom's street.  Stopping for some fast food while on the road would be out of the question in many places.  Lots of desirable campsites wouldn't be big enough.

I think we'll just have to adapt.   And there are some advantages to not being able to park our rig at our families' houses.  We could stay nearby in our own moveable home at a nearby campground and go for planned visits--I'd much rather sleep in my own bed, visit at someone's house until I get tired, and then have a private space to retreat to.

With some planning, we could eliminate our stops for fast food and if we get a Class A, we'd be able to find an area to pull into and then just go into the back and eat something out of our own kitchen.

There would be some campsites we couldn't fit into, but that's not the end of the world.  There are lots of beautiful places to camp and if no spaces are available because of our size, we can almost always stop for a night in a Walmart or a rest area, and then go elsewhere the next day.


Comments

Popular Posts