Evening Walk on the Mesa

Dog and I went for a walk yesterday evening.  There was a storm moving in from the north, over Ute Mountain.
Storm moving in

 First thing I noticed, just as we headed out the door, was a cottontail rabbit munching on the grass.  They come out to eat in the early evening. They blend in with the landscape very well.  You can't really tell they're there until they suddenly erupt a short distance ahead and go bouncing off into the sagebrush.  If they'd just keep still, they'd be safer (from humans, at least). 

Cottontail rabbit
 I was walking down the lane, dilly-dallying, taking pictures of flowers while the dog played with his ball behind me, when I glanced up.
Asters and sagebrush


I realized we were under intense scrutiny from a couple of cows who'd been headed in our direction.  I think they were wondering whether the dog and I were a threat. 
Cattle checking us out

Magnified view

They decided it was best to turn tail, and headed off down the road to the west.


Headed off

We made it to the end of the lane when the dog caught their scent.  Happily, he didn't want to chase after them.   I wonder what he thinks of them, considering his blindness.  Does he have any idea of their size?

Dog smells the cattle

I think the cattle are a mother/son pair.  We've seen them ranging around the neighborhood for the last few days.  The smaller one follows and hides behind the bigger one, and seems more curious and hesitant.  The larger one has a somewhat extended udder.  We have a stock tank filled with water behind the casita that's next to our house and they might be attracted to that. 

Lightning was getting closer by this time so I decided it was best to turn around and head home.

The cattle stopped to watch us for a bit and realizing we weren't coming after them, turned around and headed in the other direction, back to the east.  

Watching


Cattle changing direction

 On the walk, back a movement in the underbrush caught my eye.  Can you see what I saw?
Almost invisible when it holds still.
Enlarged. 
Enlarged some more.

The view toward the west was stunning as the storm moved in to cover the setting sun.


Closer at hand I saw a flash of color:

Ladybug

One last photo, this one of a solitary Desert Paintbrush, before we headed inside to avoid the wind and rain. 
Desert Paintbrush

Comments

Popular Posts