Imagination Running Wild

Went for a short walk today in the middle of the day to gather kindling for the wood stove.  Lately my brain has been taken over by two things:  designs for jewelry and photography.  Wherever I happen to be I'm framing the landscape, imagining what I see would look like as a photograph.  I'm also imagining how the materials I see around me can be incorporated into jewelry.

During my kindling search, I found some dead branches, covered with balls of dried sap and in my mind's eye I could see pieces of these branches with the sap still attached, serving as the focal pieces for necklaces.  I brought a few branches home with me and I'm going to experiment with sealants to see if I can preserve the wood and sap, and if the sap is attached strongly enough for this to be a viable idea.

Here's an example of what the sap looks like:   

Cold last night, down below zero.  The wood stove has been burning continuously and we've been staying warm.  The pump broke again yesterday so we had no running water for about 24 hours.  Today, M. brought the portable propane heater out to the pump house and let it run for a few hours.  That seemed to fix things, so perhaps the problem all along has been the cold.  The main drain for the shower/tub and sink are still stopped up; perhaps the problem there too is caused by the low temperatures.  We need some sunny days above freezing for things to thaw out. 

It's beautiful weather for walking around outside, though, as long as the wind doesn't pick up.  I'm having an awesome time just stomping around the landscape without having to worry about the presence of rattlesnakes or scorpions.  While I was looking through my photo files for pictures of sap, I came across some pictures from earlier this year, back when things were growing and the animal and plant life were abundant. Here's one from the garden:

It seems so far away in time and place now, but we're already swinging back around toward longer days and warmer weather. 

Comments

Popular Posts