Garden Progress and Drought


The garden planting is coming along.  I've transplanted the Cherry, Roma, and Brandywine tomato seedlings, along with eggplant and one of the two kinds of peppers.  Some of the acorn, butternut, zucchini, and summer squash seedlings have been transplanted into hills. I've planted herb seedlings, too, some in the garden (the basil) and some in pots on the porch (oregano and thyme).  I've planted the green beans and I'm waiting for them to sprout.  Just this afternoon, I planted the yellow beans.

There still remains quite a bit of seeding and transplanting.  I've got to get the tomatillos seedlings in the ground as well as the other peppers.  For seeds, I still need to plant red beans, and the corn.  I'm going to try to grow some mixed salad greens in pots in partly shade on the porch.  I have more seedlings to transplant: rosemary, marigolds, black eyed susans, purple coneflowers, and I want to plant some cilantro.  I think the cilantro will probably work best in a pot on the porch, also in part shade, otherwise it will bolt and go to seed too quickly.  I've also got some sunflower, nasturtium, and zinnia seeds to put in the ground.

There are quite a few volunteer seedlings (sunflowers and morning glories) in the garden beds I've been watering.  There are a few onions and potatoes that have sprouted and which look very healthy in the compost pile.  All these volunteers seem to do better than the plants I've intentionally planted. 

At the same time, there are worries about whether there will be enough water coming from the Rio Grande for our and others' communities this summer. 

Here are a few interesting articles about the effects of the river flow on life and agriculture in New Mexico, and some of the resulting tensions:

With Low Flows in Rio Grande, Farmers Leave Little for River Runners (May 3, 2013)
NM Grapples with Tough Choices as Drought Persists  (April 24, 2013)
Drought Fuels Water War Between Texas and New Mexico (January 18, 2013)
The Costs of Drought on the Rio Grande (November 13, 2012)

Comments

Popular Posts