Turkey Update

Bleary-eyed this morning, I got out of bed, made coffee, and then stumbled into the living room to throw a log on the fire.  I looked out one window and saw a fresh inch of snow had fallen during the night.  Then, I looked out the other window and saw a whole mess of turkeys, including several fellows with their tails out.  More exciting, though, was that one of the toms was on top of one of the hens, mating, I assume.  This went on for at least five minutes.  I was able to snap a few pictures.  Just now when I looked at the pictures, though, the mating part isn't obvious.  It appears that the male was just standing on the female most of the time.  I assume mating had already taken place and the tom, just like our roosters, was just hanging around keeping his feet warm on the hen. 

Comments

Popular Posts