Seemingly Impossible: Accomplished

We've done what seemed impossible just a few days ago: bought a truck and a fifth wheel while traveling and transitioned into the new trailer.  As of my last post, we'd gotten the truck.  Yesterday we took delivery of our new-to-us fifth wheel: a 2008 30-foot Crossroads Kingston. 
View of the exterior
View of the dining and living area

View of the kitchen and the hall to the bedroom and bathroom
 After living in the tiny 13-foot Trillium for three months, it seems ridiculously luxurious to us.  After we'd signed the papers to complete the sale, we sat in the living room and laughed at the implausibility of it.  A platitude is appropriate:  It seemed too good to be true.   I'm thankful that the Wilbur brought us safely across the country.  Even though its more than forty years old, all of its systems we used worked just as they were supposed to (we didn't use the sink and the propane heater went on the fritz for awhile then just mysteriously started working again).  It came to feel like home. 

Regardless, I'm happy to have a little more space to move around in.  In the Trillium, my main sitting area during the day was also my bed at night, and it served as a storage area for my clean clothes and dirty laundry, my toiletries, my computer and tablet.  It was also the dog's space.  There was only about six square feet of standing space in the trailer so essentially anytime the dog was inside, he was in the bed with me.  Now he no longer has to climb over me every time he wants to stand up, get a drink of water, or go outside.  Funny, though:  now that we've moved into the new trailer, I'm sitting on the couch and he's right here sitting next to me on it. 

Now, though, we have much more space to move around in and many basic things we didn't have before: a bed we can all sleep in, a table to eat at, a refrigerator I don't have to bend almost in half to get at, a screen door, a few feet of counter space, a toilet, a shower, a ceiling fan (and a ceiling I can't reach even when I extend my arms over my head!) and drawers for clothes.  At the same time, by middle-class North American standards, it's pretty darn minimalist at about 300 square feet. 



 

Comments

Popular Posts