Spring Desert Flowers


Sam's Family Spa
Right across the road from our current location (Sam's Family Spa), there's a path that leads off into the desert.  If you walk a short distance, there's a fence with a gap in in; pass through it and you're in Joshua Tree National Park.
The path across the street, looking into Joshua Tree National Park
Over the last several weeks, many of the bushes and plants there have blossomed.  I don't know if this widespread flowering is unusual or not, since this is our first time here.  It's possible that is a Superbloom (an unusually prolific year for desert flowers when seeds that have been lying dormant germinate and flower due to optimal conditions), just as it is in the nearby Death Valley National Park.

Most of these plants are new to me so I've been working on plant identification.

Here are the most common, with my best guesses on identity.  The pictures aren't the best; I took them with my phone camera in one hand, while the dog pulled at his leash in my other hand. 

The ubiquitous Creosote Bush:
These smell fantastic; there are enough of them around that the air is sometimes filled with the subtle scent of their flowers.

Cryptantha, Catseye, or Popcorn Flowe:  
This is a short little plant that's widely present across the desert floor.  There are enough of these plants scattered around that they form almost a ground cover.  They're beautiful when the setting sun shines through them.

Desert Tobacco

There are several kinds of Phacelia.  I've seen at least two kinds.  Pictures and descriptions online were inconsistent across sources, so I'm unsure of my identifications.  My best guess for this one, which is purple with a dark purple throat, is Phacelia Distans or Desert Scorpionweed.

Here's another kind, this one is pink with a white throat.  I think it's Notch-Leaf Phacelia. 
Some kinds of Phacelia are a skin irritant and can cause a rash similar to Poison Ivy in susceptible people.  

This one's easier to identify, given its distinct color, flower structure, and leaves: Desert Pincushion. 

Another easy one: Parish's Poppy.

The Desert Dandelion.

Arizona Lupine

Ocotillo. I haven't seen these growing out in the desert here (though I did see them in the Arizona Sonoran desert, which gets more rain).  In this area,  I've only seen them here inside Sam's boundaries where they water the landscaping. 

 Fish Hook  Cactus.  This one's also inside the Sam's boundaries, though I have seen them in the desert outside the fence as well. 

Brown Eyed Primrose.  Every picture I take of these flowers comes out lousy.  I'm sharing anyway since these are another very common flower. 
Brittlebush, whose flowers look like daisies when they're fully open.

My favorite, Indigo Bush

Desert Trumpet.  The flowers aren't very showy but the stem shape is eye-catching.

Sand Blazing Star

Coyote Melon

And the bright and beautiful flowers of the Beavertail Cactus.

Comments

Popular Posts