Wherein I Try A Green Smoothie

Something about the idea a green smoothie has always repulsed me.  I am physically disgusted when I imagine combining fruits and vegetables.  But I've read people's stories about how good they taste and I know how good they are for you, and I was out of English muffins for breakfast today, so I forced myself to make and consume one.  I put together these ingredients in a blender:
  • about a handful of kale, with the big parts of the stems removed
  • half a can of pineapple chunks and a few teaspoons of pineapple juice
  • a cup or so of strawberries
  • about a cup of orange juice
  • about a cup of non-fat plain Greek yogurt
Results?  Not terrible.  No worse than a regular smoothie.  I couldn't taste the kale at all.  I don't have a problem with eating greens straight, either raw or cooked, but I wasn't looking forward to tasting a combination of kale and fruit.   I'm not so keen on smoothies in general unless they have frozen yogurt or crushed ice in them.  The texture in combination with the luke-warm temperature gives me the heebie-jeebies.  But aside from not liking the texture of today's smoothie, the taste was really good.  Next time I'll add ice.   As I get more sophisticated in my vegetarian/vegan cooking, I want to add seeds of various kinds to them and maybe nutritional yeast. 

Nutritional yeast was my discovery of the day today.   I'd heard it mentioned many times before, especially in recipes for bread but I really didn't have the least idea what it was.  Now I now that it's yeast that has been killed after it has fed for awhile in a sugar-based medium.  It's low fat, a complete protein, and a source of selenium and potassium.  It's sometimes enriched with Vitamin B-12, and even when un-enriched, has some B-12--a vitamin which is often lacking in the diets of vegans. 

I've been doing some nutritional research this past week to help me figure out more precisely what I ought to be eating in order to limit my risk of heart disease, stroke, and inflammation more generally.  This is a different approach to what I've taken in the past which has been more along the lines of "what can't I eat,"  or "what should I eat as little as possible of."  In the past, I've focused on eating fewer calories overall and less saturated fat.  That helped me lose weight for a period, but the weight came back plus more, and my bad cholesterol and trigycerides went back up too.  Now, I'm more interested in identifying the foods that are good for me and that I can use to cook with. 

I like this approach much better; there are many foods that are good for me and that I enjoy eating.  And there are many recipes using these foods that I'm excited to try. For example, I love granola but a lot of time it has lots of saturated fat in it and sugar.  But I learned that I can make my own granola (big duh, here) using whole oats, seeds and nuts, a little honey or maple syrup, and a small amount of coconut oil.  I like all of those ingredients and if I make it myself I can control how much fat and sugar are in it. 

I'm also excited to use some seeds and grains that are new to me (like chia seeds) to make breads and other things.  I gave quinoa a try a few years ago and thought it was incredibly disgusting;  maybe it was a fluke--I'll give it another try.  Because, you know, it is the International Year of the Quinoa. 

Today is day eight or something like that, of no meat.  While I'm leaving myself the freedom to eat meat if I really want it, I haven't wanted it at all yet.  Today is the first day I've experienced any cravings and haven't felt completely satisfied by what I've eaten. What I really want, though,  is not a steak but some whole grain pancakes with butter and real maple syrup.  Mmmmm.



Comments

Popular Posts