Finally, Spring

Spring Comes to Northern New Mexico

This winter felt incredibly long.  Perhaps it was because we didn't experience a winter last year when we stayed in southern New Mexico, Arizona, and California.  Here in Northern New Mexico, we had a major snowstorm just two weeks ago.
 
View out the front window of the house
The snow quickly melted and today the temperatures are in the mid 70s.  I'm in a tank top, skirt, and sandals.  This is our first spring in this location so I'm very interested to see what flowers grow here.  It's amazing the difference a few miles can make.  A few years ago, we lived about ten miles from here as the crow flies.  Very different micro climates, very different landscapes.

Here are a few I came across just now in our yard:






I started lettuce, basil, and cilantro about two weeks ago.  They're outside now, hardening off.
Seedlings
A few days ago, I planted some seeds I'd saved from 2013-2015:  marigolds, cosmos, and zinnias.  So far, despite the age of the seeds, germination rate has been good.

Because I don't know much about this micro climate (plus it's a rental), I'm hesitant to invest too much into a garden.  There is no already-established garden space here, though there is a very small greenhouse attached to the bedroom.

Spring in Northern New Mexico is hard on tender plants; the wind is vicious and there's little if any rain until the monsoons arrive in late July or early August.  We're out on the open desert valley floor which extends in gently rolling plains in all directions.  There are a few small trees around the house, otherwise, we're surrounded by sagebrush and a few pinions.  All our water comes from the rain and is collected in two cisterns.

Had I been more ambitious and motivated, I would have started some things like spinach in the green house.  Our trips into town take place about once a week, though, and by the time all the other errands are done I don't want to add a trip to the hardware store to buy seeds.  And maybe I'm getting cynical or just more jealous of my time and effort as I age:  I can't see the sense in expending the effort and resources when I can just buy a bag of spinach at the grocery store for a few dollars.  

I spent most of the winter working on jewelry and reading.  I'm planning to set up at some craft markets.  I think there's a better local market for my jewelry than there is online at Etsy.  The things popular on Etsy are not at all like the things I made: right now really dainty, polished jewelry and jewelry personalized with stamped initials and cute sayings are hot.  My stuff is rough and organic. 

Earrings I made this winter

Necklace I made this winter

Longing for Our Own Homestead

I've been getting antsy.  I want to buy our own property somewhere in the general area of Northern New Mexico or Southern Colorado, and put up a yurt.  We can stay there during the spring and summer and I can have a garden, and then in the winter we can migrate to the South, to stay at Faywood Hot Springs in NM or Sam's in California.

A yurt is relatively cheap and quick to erect.  We can stay on the land in our rv while we build a platform, put up a yurt, and install infrastructure.  First, though, we need to off-load our house and land in Maine....If we can do that, we should be able to buy property and a yurt without taking on any debt.  And property taxes for minimally developed land are much cheaper here.

Yurt exterior

Yurt interior




Comments

Popular Posts