Still Waiting for Spring

A month from now I'll probably be saying that it's too damn hot.  But right now it seems like spring will never get settled in here.  Tonight, the low is projected to be 26 degrees.  Yesterday there was fresh snow on the mountains. I got up this morning to see that last night it snowed almost all the way down to the Taos Valley.  We needed a fire in the wood stove yesterday and I have one going now this morning.  Last week I bought a few vegetable plants and I've been able to set them out in the yard a few times to harden them off. Even though they're pot bound now, it's still far too cold to put them in the ground.  It's not unheard of to have a frost at the end of May or beginning of June here so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

There is a scattering of wildflowers blooming and they seem pretty hardy.  The lilacs, however, have some serious frost damage.  It remains to be seen whether the tiny buds will ever develop into flowers.  I also wonder whether the frost damaged apricot blossoms will be able to generate fruit. 
Frost damaged leaves on the lilacs
If we want weather that's warmer, we need to relocate somewhere at lower elevation.

Regardless of the low temperature, it's a beautiful morning.  The land is dappled with areas of sun and cloud shadow.  Facing the sun, it's warm, barely offsetting the general chill in the air and the added cool from the breeze.

M. is gone for a work week in Colorado. Usually the dog keeps me company while sleeping at night.  Last night, though, I woke up and he wasn't in the bed or his own bed on the floor in the bedroom.  He wasn't under the bed.  I went looking for him elsewhere in the house and he wasn't in his bed in the living room, either.  I started to worry and then I found him curled up in the arm chair over by my craft table. 

As I mentioned in my last blog post, we were hoping to take a trip to Faywood Hot Springs.  I'm not sure this will happen.  We need to get the truck and fifth wheel registered first.  After several trips to the Motor Vehicles Office to find out what paperwork is necessary to register them for the first time in New Mexico, the latest discovery is that we need to order a copy of the title from the lender.  That can take up to a month.  It's absurdly difficult to get a driver's license or a vehicle registration.  It's a two-hour drive to/from the office and they're not open on  weekends.  Once during my attempts and once during Mike's, the entire state computer system was down.  This state has some issues.  

Comments

Popular Posts