Snow?! And Brain Fog

The weather has been unsettled for the last few days.  We've had thunderstorms roll through one after the other.  The skies have been turbulent.  Fortunately, we missed the worst of the hail and wind.


Yesterday it snowed for a few hours.  It was cold enough for the snow to accumulate and cover the ground.  That was unexpected.

We've had the wood stove going all day  yesterday and then again today.  Still, I feel cold through and through.  I'm missing our wonderful shower back in Maine with a seemingly endless supply of hot water.  I remember taking long showers until my skin turned red and the bathroom filled with clouds of steam.  In Maine, except during episodic dry periods, there's an abundance of water.  It's a very different situation here in New Mexico where we gather our water from the sky and are careful with every drop.

I'm thinking of joining the gym in town again (I quit over the winter since it was too far to drive and the weather prevented us from getting out for several days at a time).  I'm thinking longingly of their hot tub and showers.  I feel cold to my core.  Plus, I miss the yoga classes.  I've stopped doing yoga at home and I'd like to get back to it.

Last night was not a good night for sleeping.  It seemed as if I had nightmares all night long and I woke myself more than a few times yelling in my sleep.  Today I'm feeling the hypersomnia (or to put it in more medically acceptable terms, narcoleptic minus the cataplexy).  During our morning dog walk at several points I seriously considered just curling up in a ball on the side of the road to take a nap, even though it was close to freezing with a cutting wind.  More about idiopathic hypersomnia here (http://www.hypersomniafoundation.org/understanding-hypersomnia/about-idiopathic-hypersomnia/) and narcolepsy here (https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Narcolepsy-Fact-Sheet)

I have a doctor's appointment in town this morning, though, so I poured myself more coffee and I'm forcing myself to stay up. It sucks to sleep for ten hours and wake up more tired than when I to bed.  I'm thankful on days like this that I left my job and no longer have the responsibilities that I once did.  I don't miss stumbling through work days so tired I could barely talk, never mind put together a coherent lecture, or remember what I had done in the previous class.  Nor do I miss driving back and forth to work in heavy traffic feeling this way. 

The condition is a neurological disorder, related to the demyelination in my brain, and it leads to disruptions in the normal sleep cycle.  I typically experience it after nights in which I've have vivid and repeated dreams with lots of sleep yelling.  Consistently, I find that if I go back to sleep for a few hours, my brain feels as if it resets and I wake up feeling refreshed.  Often the body pains that accompany the brain fog lessen significantly, too.

Today, though, I'll just force my way through it.  Life goes on. 


Comments

Popular Posts