Headache, Datura, and Intelligent Design

I've got an incredible headache today.  It's a migraine and it has been building up slowly over the last several days.  I suspect it's due to hormonal fluctuations.  The dog was rowdy last night after we went to bed; he was on the bed and off the bed, over and over, and he kept pawing at the floor to tell me he wanted something.  Usually it's clear what he wants: food, water, to go outside to pee, to go for a walk, etc.  But last night he didn't want anything in particular other than me not sleeping and paying some attention to him because he couldn't sleep.  It seems like he's a bit depressed and unsettled because Mike isn't here.  He moons around most of the day and then is restless most of the night.  And last night he was barking off and on, it seemed like every time I fell off to sleep, he'd bark.  I don't know what time he finally settled down and I was able to fall into a deeper sleep.  My mother came into my room at 11 this morning to make sure I wasn't sick; I was deeply asleep and in the midst of a long, complicated dream that I now don't remember.  I never sleep that late. Disruptions in my sleep schedule also result in migraines for me. 

One of the advantages of being up late last night was seeing the Datura flowers wide open under the moon light.  I was too sleepy to capture them in a picture.  I'd anticipated that they would bloom the night before last, for the solstice, but I was off by 24 hours.  Below are some pictures of the flowers, about to open. 
Datura opening


I went out around noon to water the garden.  Not the best time of day, since so much of it will just evaporate in the heat of the day rather than be drawn up by the plants' roots.  I haven't been out since. I haven't even taken Siris for a single walk.  The sunlight makes my head hurt.  Luckily, he doesn't seem to mind.  He's napping, since he's very tired from keeping me up half the night.  And it's uncomfortably hot out, though it's cool inside the house with the windows and doors closed.   The house is backed up against the side of the hill and has long overhangs on the east side.  It's also some kind of earthen design (not adobe, exactly) with thick walls, so it works as a heat sink.  The walls are cool from last night's desert air, and the heat is absorbed by them rather than being directly transmitted to the inside of the house.  Although the house does heat up some over the day, it stays remarkably cool in contrast to the outside.  When the sun goes down and the air cools, I can open up the windows and let the cooler air flow in.  This is one kind of intelligent design I can believe in. 

Last night I finished reading Wild (2012) by Cheryl Strayed.  It is an absolutely fantastic book about her attempts to, as they say, find or center herself, while hiking alone 1,100 miles along the Pacific Crest Trail.  I highly recommend it.  I'm going to track down some of her other work to read. 




Comments

Popular Posts