Plants of Abiquiu Reservoir

Here are a few of the flowering plants I've seen here at Abiquiu Reservoir. 

I've noticed that these are all blooming in sheltered locations.  Despite the brightness of the flowers, they're easy to overlook since the cacti are tucked away.  


Prince's Plume


Mormon Tea
This is a new-to-me plant, though I'd heard of it.  It's very odd looking, with no apparent leaves.   According to DesertUSA, it actually does have very small leaves and as well as cone-like flowers that bloom between February and April; most photosynthesis takes place in the stem.  I read conflicting things about its medicinal value. 

Milkvetch
 This is another odd looking plant.  This is some kind of Milkvetch (Preuss', perhaps?). 
 
I've seen several different kinds of Milkvetch, one of which forms these peculiar, inflated half-moon shaped pods (Halfmoon Milkvetch?): 

Below, you can see a Halfmoon Milkvetch with both flowers and pods:


This is some kind of Fleabane that I haven't seen before.  It has small flowers with yellow centers and numerous white petals.  The buds and spent flowers are notable because they're pink. 

 Here's a familiar one: Desert Paintbrush



Field Bindweed

I'll add others I've seen to a later post.

Comments

Popular Posts