Candy Colored Mountains


In a string of associations here, the candy colored mountains remind me of the Woodie Guthrie song, Big Rock Candy Mountain.  I had a cd when my son was less than a year old that featured a whole mess of early Twentieth Century folk songs, and we used to dance in the living room while listening. The Woody Guthrie song was one of them.  There were also a few by Lead Belly, and I haven't had occasion to think of those in years.  I think the whole cd was one of those Smithsonian Folkways collections, that preserves Early U.S. music.  Here's a link to the site, there's some awesome stuff on there: http://www.folkways.si.edu/

And here's one of my favorites by Lead Belly: Bourgeois Blues.  The intro narrative is from another song, Jim Crow Blues.  


 It feels appropriate today, as the members of the Electoral College cast their votes in the nation's capitals for the next President.  

"Feel sorry for the people who didn't woke up yet, as long as you fight there's war, if you quit fighting there's peace you can't get no peace in fightin."  --Lead Belly

True, I believe, especially when it comes to nations.  But I don't know how non-violent I can commit to being, when it comes down to it.  There's a lot to think about here, with some of the policies that may be implemented under the next administration. 

Comments

Popular Posts