Adventuring at Embudo Creek

Embudo Creek
Yesterday we went adventuring.  We drove through Dixon and out along the Embudo Creek, and hiked down a trail to the water.  It was clear and sunny, though the temperatures were probably in the upper 40s and the winds cooled things down even further.  Siris, though he's blind, insisted on leading us on the trail through the sagebrush and the canyon.  Apart from the occasional blunder into a cactus or rock when the trail jogged in direction, he was remarkably competent.  He did have to be on the leash for the last part, a steep and rocky (but thankfully short) climb down to the creek.

I'm happy that on my good days,  I'm able to take such hikes.  I definitely had some bodily issues both during the climb down and the climb up, and I'm feeling it today, though not as severely as I thought I would.  On bad days, it's hard to remember the good days, such as yesterday.  The pain and exhaustion of the bad days narrow my horizon down so that all I can see is pain and fatigue, and all I can imagine is a past and future of pain and fatigue.  The narrowness of my vision at such times makes it very important that I push myself on my good days to experience those things that make my life have value, even though they may be difficult, and to learn how to recapture those memories so that I have them to recall on bad days, and can project to having more of them in the future.

I was so busy directing Siris during the hike that I wasn't able to really give my photo taking full attention, but I did manage to take a few pictures.

Siris in the shade

Ice mustache

Listening

Didn't see the phallic nature of this when I took this picture, just the beautiful curve formed by the flowing water.

Rooted

Siris finds the one patch of snow and rolls in it

Coated in ice

Towering over the river

This old tree had some fire damage at its base. 





Comments

Popular Posts